Thursday, March 21, 2013

"Eye on Professional Artists", Teti Library, NHIA



Image: Natasha Dominguez, Distance, archival pigment print


I visited the Eye Gallery at the New Hampshire Institute of Art’s Teti Library today to jury the upcoming show, Eye on Professional Artists. The library opened their doors to student shows and events this past fall. The upcoming show will feature work by students enrolled in the NHIA’s ‘Professional Artists’ class. The exhibit will be on view April 3 – 26, with an opening reception April 3rd at noon.

I love student art, and was thrilled to be invited to jury this show. It is exciting to see the up-and-coming talent in our community, and talent is certainly plentiful at the NHIA. I was impressed by the quality of the submissions; it was quite difficult to narrow down selections from a group of such exceptional work.

There is a variety of media represented, showcasing the many course offerings of NHIA. I first focused on works that demonstrate technical ability and creativity. I chose works that I seemed to keep going back to, wanting to learn more about. These pieces drew me in and piqued my curiosity, whether through process or subject. They are refreshing, exciting, and contemporary.

I congratulate all the students who submitted to this exhibit. I hope visitors enjoy the selected works as much as I do. Thank you to Betsy Holmes and Martha Sawyer for inviting me to take part in the exhibit.   

- Jessica Pappathan

No comments: